Sunday, October 26, 2008

the rose windowsill















After spending the long dark days of February and March with a living room that had still to be tackled, I spent some long days in April ripping off the wallpaper with a steamer and scraper. On a trip to the tip with the bags of wallpaper, I saw someone about to throw away a load of china plates with little roses on. He was happy to let me have them instead of throwing them in. A few days later, on one of the first warm and sunny Spring days, I spent an afternoon in the garden cutting the plates up, with no idea what I was going to do with them. A couple of days later, on a wet, cold and windy April morning, it suddenly dawned on me what to do with them. At that time, it was one of the first things you noticed when you came in the front door.

No comments: